Do you want to play a fun sport that combines many elements of tennis, badminton, and ping-pong? If you answered yes .. the game of pickleball might be just what you are looking for. Pickleball can be played as doubles or singles.
Lochmere offers 6 courts at the Highlands facility located at 200 Loch Highlands Drive. These courts are marked for pickleball as well as tennis. Courts should be reserved using the Court Scheduler on Lochmere’s website .. Just click HERE (you must be signed in to your account). Please remember to designate that you are reserving the courts for pickleball.
Rules for court usage are posted at the courts. All players should abide by the rules. Please remember:
- Pets are not permitted on the courts.
- No alcoholic beverages, food, or glass are permitted on the courts or inside the tennis gate.
- Smoking and vaping is not permitted on the property.
- Proper tennis attire is required. Shoes that mark the courts are not allowed. No sports bras are allowed without a cover-up. Shirts must be worn at all times.
Since it is known to be easier on the joints than tennis, pickleball is very popular with older players. However, whether it is at a fast pace of competition or a slower pace for beginners and older players, it is a game that can be fun for any age: young, old or in-between.
When playing pickleball, each player needs a pickleball paddle, which is smaller than a tennis racquet but larger than a ping-pong paddle. Players will also need to bring their own pickleballs. The ball is unique, with holes through it like a whiffle ball. For more information about pickleball, please visit the USA Pickleball website HERE.
ADULT PICKLEBALL OPEN PLAY
Now that the Highlands courts are repaired and resurfaced and new pickleball nets have been delivered, there are so many Lochmere residents participating in clinics as well as playing with their friends and neighbors.
Are you looking to meet new players or showcase how much you have learned? If so, why not mark your calendar for Thursday evenings starting Thursday, November 10.
Lochmere is proud to announce Open Play Pickleball at the Highlands courts for Lochmere residents every Thursday evening from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM. All levels are welcome to play! There is no need to register; just grab your equipment and show up at the Highlands courts.
Events will be held on Thursday evenings starting on November 10 and ending on February 23. There will be no Open Play scheduled on Thanksgiving, November 24.
NOVEMBER ADULT CLINICS
Pickleball clinics are winding down for this year. However, there is still a chance for you to jump in and learn how to play the fastest growing sport in America during the month of November. Pam Gilbert will be the instructor. The minimum number of players for each clinic is 4. Space is limited and 24-hour cancellation is required.
She will be teaching clinics at the Beginner I and II levels as well as at the Intermediate level as follows. Players cannot sign up for BOTH Beginner and Intermediate. Sign up for your current level of play only!
Adult Beginner I:
- Saturday, November 12, from 11:00 AM to 12:00 Noon
- Monday, November 14, from 5:30-6:30 PM
Adult Beginner II (after completion of Beginner Level I):
- Saturday, November 12, from 12:00 Noon-1:00 PM
.Adult Intermediate: (after completion of Beginner Levels I & II):
- Saturday, November 12, from 10:00 -11:00 AM
- Lochmere Residents: $15/each clinic
- Non-Lochmere Guests: $20/each clinic guest fee
Participants need to bring their own paddle and wear proper court shoes.
For more details and to register, please visit HERE.
8/21/2022 UPDATE- HIGHLANDS' COURTS ARE READY FOR PLAY!!!!!!
We are very pleased to announce that the Highlands courts have been repaired, resurfaced, and lined for both tennis and pickleball.
The moveable pickleball nets were delivered as soon as the courts were ready to be played on . A big thank you to resident Jimmy Horng, for arranging a large crew of players to volunteer that evening to assemble all four nets. The nets weigh over 200 lbs. This was quite an undertaking but they got it done, and managed to play pickleball that night.
The nets can be moved for tennis play and vice versa, but please be careful, and make sure the wheels are properly engaged before moving them. These are very heavy but move easily once the wheels are engaged.
New signs have been put up indicating which courts are pickleball.
The court schedular has been updated so that all courts can be easily booked. Instructions are on the website, but new enhancements are as follows:
- Courts at both locations can now be booked one hour in advance.
- Cancellations can be made up to the time of your reservation. If you plans change, please cancel your reservation. This will allow other residents to enjoy the courts.
- Don't forget if you are playing tennis at the Highlands courts you must reserve both Pickleball Courts 1 and 3 or 2 and 4.
- Photos of the layout of the Highlands courts can be found on the home page under Quick Links "Court #'s".
We know this project has been a long and sometimes bumpy road, but we are thankful that this has been completed.
Thank you to everyone for their patience. The end result has been worth it!