In recent months we have received numerous calls and emails expressing concern about vehicles parking in the street.
The Lochmere covenants regarding parking in the street state: “No automobiles, trucks, tractors, boats, campers, or trailers shall be regularly parked within the right of way of any street in or adjacent to Lochmere.”
Although the streets in Lochmere are public, this Association covenant takes precedence over Town ordinances.
Almost every home has a two-car garage as well as parking for three or four cars in the driveway. There should not be a reason for homeowners to park in the street.
There are many reasons why parking in the street is not desirable.
- Streets in Lochmere are fairly narrow and it is difficult and dangerous to pass parked vehicles.
- Children can run out from behind parked vehicles and be hit by oncoming vehicles.
- Residents have difficulty in backing out of the driveway when neighbor’s vehicles are parked on the street.
- It detracts from the neighborhood.
- The post office can have difficulty delivering mail when vehicles are parked too near mailboxes.
- It makes it more difficult for emergency vehicles to navigate our streets when cars are parked there.
- Sanitation and road cleaning trucks have a much harder job navigating our streets when vehicles are parked at the curb.
The Town of Cary ordinances are summarized below. Sec. 34-103.
- No vehicle may be parked within 15 feet either way of a mailbox.
- No vehicle may be parked within 15 feet of a stop sign.
- No vehicle may be parked in front of a private driveway.
- No trailers such as boat or utility trailers that are unhitched from a vehicle shall be left on the street.
- No vehicles parked further than 12 inches from the curb.
- No vehicles in cul-de-sacs may be parked straight on facing houses.
- No parking anywhere within 25 feet of any intersection.
- No parking within a marked bicycle lane.
- No parking on a street marked by a center line where the parked car may force a passing vehicle into the other lane.
All residents are asked to please abide by this covenant.